GESP TECH -TRUSTWORTHY ONE-STOP PCB SERVICES SMT PCB ASSEMBLY
Surface Mounted Technology is one of the most widely used technologies. and SMT PCB assembly procedures in the electronics assembly industry. Electronic circuits that utilize SMT to as surface mount or surface mount technology. It is a type of circuit assembly technology for mounting pinless . or short lead surface assembly components on the surface of PCB or other substrates. and assembling them via reflow soldering, dip soldering, or other techniques. In general, electronic products are designed by PCB plus various capacitors, resistors. and other electronic components based on the circuit diagram. so diverse electrical appliances require diverse smt SMD processing techniques.
THE BENEFIT OF SMT PCB ASSEMBLY
Thinner & Compact
SMD components are 60-80% smaller in size than their through-hole counterparts. resulting in smaller, thinner PCBs. These components are also much lighter. As a result, SMT printed circuit boards take up less space, making them smaller and slimmer.
Surface mount technology provides a great deal of flexibility in PCB materials and design. because SMD components are directly mounted or soldered on the surface of the board. Only SMT allows for flexible and rigid-flexible PCBs.
SMT PCBs are smaller in size and do not require any plated through-holes. resulting in lower cardboard and material costs. Many SMD components, which are smaller electronic components, are also less expensive. This contributes to lower SMT PCB manufacturing costs. Surface mount components are less expensive to handle. package, and ship because they are smaller and thinner.
High-speed Signal Transmission
The SMT PCB components can primarily support high-density . double-sided PCBs and multilayer PCBs with high signal transmission and frequency. These boards can achieve high-speed signal transmission due to their short delay time. Furthermore, because SMD components have no or short leads, RF interference is reduced. Furthermore, SMT printed circuit board assembly is more vibration resistant and produces no noise.
RAPID SMT PCB ASSEMBLY
GESP‘s rapid SMT assembly services are in demand as OEMs prioritize time-to-market. We quickly design and assemble standard and custom circuits and assembled PCBs. Regardless of design complexity, GESP guarantees industry-leading turnaround times. Our technology investments and strong supply chain relationships. enable us to meet strict time, quality, and pricing requirements. We rely on referrals and have a long list of satisfied customers. This makes us a top quick turn PCB assembly service provider.
PCB SMT ASSEMBLY PROCESS
Prepare the SMC and PCB and test to see if there are any flaws. Solder pads are typically flat, tin-lead, silver, or gold plated copper pads with no holes on the PCB.
Making the Stencil
A stencil used to provide a fixed position for solder paste printing. That made under the designed solder pad positions on the PCB.
Printing with Solder Paste
To connect the SMC and solder pads on the PCB, solder paste, typically a mixture of flux and tin. That applied to the PCB with a squeegee at an angle ranging from 45° to 60°.
The printed PCB is then transported to the pick-and-place machines. which carried on a conveyor belt and electronic components are placed on it.
- Soldering oven: After SMC, the boards transferred to the reflow soldering oven.
- Pre-heat zone: The first zone in the oven is a pre-heat zone. in which the temperature of the board and all components is gradually raised. In this section, the temperature ramp up rate is 1.0°C-2.0°C per second until it reaches 140°C-160°C.
- Soak zone: the boards kept in this zone for 60-90 seconds at temperatures ranging from 140°C to 160°C.The boards then enter the reflow zone. where the temperature rises at a rate of 1.0°C-2.0°C per second to a peak of 210°C-230°C. melting the tin in the solder paste. and bonding the component leads to the PCB pads. The surface tension of the molten solder aids in the retention of the components.
- Cooling zone: a section that ensures solder does not freeze at the exit of the heating zone. preventing joint defects.If the circuit board is double-sided, the printing, placement. and reflow processes repeated using solder paste or glue to keep the components in place.
Inspection and Cleaning
After soldering, clean the boards and inspect for flaws. Rework or repair the flaws, then store the product. AOI (Automated Optical Inspection), flying probe testers, X-ray machines. and other SMT-related equipment are common.
SMT PCB ASSEMBLY OF GESP SERVICE
FAQS OF SURFACE MOUNTED ASSEMBLY
What is the SMT Assembly？
SMT is an assembly and packaging technology that is used to place and solder components directly onto the PCB surface. This technology reduces manufacturing costs and improves productivity. The process also enables the automated construction of highly complex electronic circuits in smaller assemblies.
What files are needed for PCB assembly?
- Gerber/ODB++ Files
- Centroid file
- Bill of Materials (BOM)
- Special Requirements
- Assembly Drawings
- Preliminary Files
What are SMT method of placing components?
- Ball Grid System (BGA)
- Ultra-Fine Ball Grid Array
- Four-Fold Package (QFP)
- Quad Flat Pack Lead-Free (QFN)
- Small Outline Integrated Circuit (SOIC)
- Leaded Plastic Chip Carrier (PLCC)
- Package On Package (POP)
- Small Chip Containers (SOP)
How about SMT in PCB manufacturing?
Surface Mount Technology (SMT) is the technique used to directly mount electrical components onto the surface of a printed circuit board (PCB). The first step of this multi-step procedure involves stenciling solder paste.